Tuesday, January 7, 2014

CHUGCHILAN . . . ECUADOR . . .2

My poor mate Jye was dead in bed with a severe case of salmonella poisoning. I thought it would be a good idea to embark on a little day hike in the serene mountains surrounding our hostel and leave poor Jye to rest as he was at risk of being over mothered by yours truly.
The Andes are a beautiful but unforgiving place. As i slowly hauled myself up the steep mountainside gasping for air i found myself surrounded by wild dogs as i was shooting one of these photos you see bellow. Luckily i had a few rocks in my pocket and started throwing them towards the snarling dogs as they slowly began to encircle me. After a few throws i slowly retreated and to my relief with my arms and legs intact, but this would not be my last dog encounter of the day.
As I climbed higher it became harder to do any given task as the air was much thinner making the simplest task like taking a single step a nightmare. I reached the summit of the largest mountain range i could see giving me surreal views, free blue berries but this to would be short lived as a massive front of fog flowed over the mountains from the seaside of the great Andean Mountain range. Visibility robbed from me within minutes, only being able to see about 5 meters ahead of me i blindly tramped down through the now wet, slippery grass. I kept my calm and within 15 mins i reached a little cottage, as i entered the front gate a mangy black German Shepard took charge with all teeth expelled searching for some pre siesta gringo rump. With no rocks i though i was gone backing off i cartoon speed proportions legs frailing and sweat pouring from my forehead, but once i stumbled past the gate the dog haulted in its tracks at the edge of its masters property. Some hours later i finally found myself back in the safety of the dog free hostel and the kind ladies working there invited me for a potato feast.
Jye was even worst then when I had left him, he had been throwing up and shitting 2 times an hour for close to 48hours (96 shit/spews) and luckily enough the next day a doctor from Quito would be passing through town on his fortnightly visit and immediately insisted Jye go on a drip. Being terrified of needles this was an ordeal and poor Jye shat his pants and ended up fainting while they trip do administer aid. That afternoon he was feeling better and we decided to make a split back to Quito with a hostel worker who was embarking on the 4 hours drive to pick up supplies. The hostel worker, a complete lunatic from Texas, now living in Chile who had boasted about having Malaria and Salmonella poisoning at the same time while traveling in Eastern Africa took the barricade-less corners at breakneck speed. How we didnt tumble off or throw ourselves out of the window to our death having to hear this old fruit loop Australian music teacher babble on has got me beat to this very day.        

No comments:

To Buy/Stock/Distribute Gypsy Skateboards contact: http://www.maccaronidistribution.com/

To Buy/Stock/Distribute Gypsy Skateboards contact: http://www.maccaronidistribution.com/